The bell tower is one of the oldest Istrian towers famous for sightseeing. According to the famous bishop Tomasini from Novigrad in mid-17th century, the drawing of Vižinada was created by an engineer named Curtiva 120 years earlier, brought here by Prospero Petronio, showing how the bell tower standing next to the old Saint Jerome church dates back at least to the 16th century. The new and much larger parish church of Saint Jerome was built from 1836 to 1840.
Beside the bell tower there is a lapidarium with five Roman inscriptions showing the presence Roman veterans who were granted land in the area of Žudetić, around Trumbal and Maštelić, in direction Ružar, Rakotule, Karojba and Motovun after Caesar’s period. From this picturesque area that is criss-crossed with walking and bike paths comes a famous Roman celebrity from the first century. Her name was Calvia Priscinilla and she is mentioned by renowned historians like Tacitus. Amphoras for transporting prominent Istrian products were exported all over the then known world, above all olive oil and wine bore the town’s seal. Calia is mentioned in various contexts (magistra libidinum Neronis), associated with large possessions and influence on the Emperor’s court. The old and medieval road passing through God’s field and heading towards the sea still exists today and products from Vižinada were exported on the figlina (Amphora factory) Calvinia Priscinila to the world.
On the façade of the bell tower there are two stone columns that marked Emperor Franz Joseph’s visit to Vižinada, but they were damaged in WWII. The bell tower of Vižinada had a pyramidal top and the current tambour is similar to the baroque shapes of the towers in Brseč, Mošćenice and Tinjan. From the tower you have a wonderful view of Vižinada and the surrounding area, and it is well-known for the scenes of one of the best Hollywood war movies from the 70s: Kelly’s Heroes, directed by Bryan G. Hutton and with unforgettable performances by Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Don Rickles, as well as the then young Donald Sutherland and with the participation of the numerous collaborating crew. The sketches that then were made of the main square in Vižinada were used by numerous American and other film productions, especially in projects used by Cinecitta’ in Rome. The recording of this movie took place mostly in Vižinada and its surrounding area in 1969 and 1970. It was the first Hollywood co-production in a socialist country.