- Cultural monuments
The House Maraston was built in the period between the 16th and 17th century on the north side of the main square, where at the end of the 18th century the cistern was built. To this day, this is with four storeys and a height of almost 14 metres the tallest residential building in the municipality. The building was built at the time of Venetian rule and during the Austro-Hungarian administration the ground floor and the first floor were used publicly. On the ground floor there was a post office and on the first floor, respectively between the two World Wars it was – a working men’s club. The family Maraston was managing the club and had big problems during the 1920s, when the fascists on several occasion tried to eliminate some members of the family and even tried to burn down the house. Besides Josip Tuntar (Giovanni Tuntar, 1882 – 1940), mister Maraston was one of the socialists from Vižinada who were forced to leave the hometown during Fascists rule. During the Austrian administration, Vižinada was ruled by Socialists among them the renowned municipal mayor of Vižinada Agostino Ritossa, whose library (gabinetto socialista), medical expertise and above all humanity, was well-known in Vižinada, Poreč, Istria and beyond. Vižinada is from the 19th century the only Istrian municipality with a Socialist administration.
The House Maraston was built north of the current cistern. It still holds two entrance doors and the corresponding show windows on the ground floor. On the first floor there is a stone balcony along the entire length of the façade. It has massive stone consoles and parapets also made from domestic stone. The metal balustrade was produced by blacksmiths from Vižinada before the Second World War. The representative appearance and the size of the stone balcony is interesting in the typology of similar Istrian buildings, although it is most probably made from elements that belonged to earlier buildings, or according to the architectural stone plastics made from before the balcony was built in. With the restoration and restructuring programme, the House Maraston will become the Visitor Centre “Tastes of the past”, where visitors can see presentations of the cultural heritage of the area.